Post Title: Chief Warden - Cousin Island Special Reserve
Responsible to: Chief Executive, Nature Seychelles
Immediate supervisor: Reserve Coordinator
Supervises: 8 Wardens & a Maintenance Manager
Contract period: 2 years
Salary and perks:
Reserve accommodation including furniture, electricity, water and cooking gas;
21 days off/year (paid annual leave);
One return ticket from and back to country of origin if expatriate.
Job Description: The Chief Warden is the overall manager of the Reserve. We are looking for an experienced person to work with the young management team on the Reserve, to mentor and supervise the Warden staff, maintain all systems ranging from financial to infrastructure and ensure high standards. The post holder is expected to implement the Cousin Island Special Reserve Management Plan and put in place annual work programs. This will include the following:
• Manage boat operation in a safe and professional reasonable manner keeping high standards in place.
• Coordinate and provide guiding of visitors in a professional and informed manner.
• Undertake ticket sales and handling, banking and reporting of cash, strictly following all financial procedures.
• Ensure that the Special Reserve is protected and take appropriate action against law breakers.
• Supervise and mentor all Special Reserve staff and ensure good staff relations and community sprit on the island.
• Assist the Conservation/Science Manager.
• Assist the CBC/Volunteer Coordinator
• Conduct maintenance and cleaning of the Reserve.
• Ensure proper inventory, financial and other administrative tasks.
• Ensure that staff are properly trained (in service) to conduct their work.
• Provide all assistance necessary to other Nature Seychelles staff.
• Assist in ensuring that conservation helpers and CBC participants and volunteers are integrated into the Reserve work and community life.
• Provide assistance to approved scientists and students.
• Ensure good networking with tourism operators.
• Any other relevant work as directed.
Work Site: The post holder will have to live and work on Cousin Island.
Working hrs: Monday to Friday 8 to 4 (may have to work additional hours as could be expected on an island Reserve)
Works with: Conservation/Science Manager; CBC/Volunteer Coordinator (both in situ)
Necessary qualifications and Competencies: Relevant degree(s) or certification. 5 years in a similar senior position or in managing a field based organization or relevant type of company. Excellent small boat handling skills. High degree of physical fitness. Ability to live and work in a remote situation. Experience in managing small teams. First Aid qualifications. Administrative experience. High level of written and spoken English.
Other desirable skills: Experience and best practice in handling money; PADI instructor-level qualifications; Visitor Management; Good inter-personal abilities; Mentoring and awareness skills; Mechanics.
Additional information: Owing to limited accommodation and other facilities on Cousin Island it is not possible to house spouses or families except on weekends.
Successful candidate has to be ready to be at their post by mid July 2018.