Coral aquaculture at Mote Marine Lab. (Photo by Chloe Shute. Used for illustration)
Join the team at Nature Seychelles and help save coral reefs in Seychelles!
Post: Coral Aquaculture Specialist
Nature Seychelles requires a coral aquaculture specialist to set up and manage land-based coral nurseries to generate coral colonies for restoration and other purposes, on a 2-year renewable contract based on Praslin Island, Seychelles. The post holder is likely to possess not less than 5 years of experience in coral husbandry with an advanced degree in the relevant field. The successful candidate will be responsible for the management, monitoring, and maintenance of a newly established land-based coral nursery. He/she will be instrumental in the design of the facility and oversee its construction, working closely with the Technical Field Officers to grow coral fragments mainly for out-planting to restoration sites.
The postholder will form part of the coral restoration team, which will be led by the Senior Technical Field Officer. He/she will be able to work in relative isolation and therefore be academically, technically, and mentally self-sufficient. The project may be logistically difficult, perhaps with long hours. The post holder will have to work with and help coordinate field staff, volunteers, and students to deliver the project activities successfully. This will include the ability to work with people of different nationalities. The development of Seychellois and regional capacity in coral reef restoration and conservation is an important component of this project, hence the willingness and proven ability to facilitate capacity development and work with consultants to deliver training sessions is essential. The post holder is also expected to contribute to the further improvement of the existing Coral Restoration Toolkit with learnings from the project, specifically in regards to ex-situ coral nursing.
Responsible to: Senior Technical Field Officer
Based at: Nature Seychelles CORAL Centre, Amitie, Praslin island
Works with: Project Coordinator, Cousin Island Management, Nature Seychelles Communication Manager, Reserve Coordinator and any other Nature Seychelles staff as directed.
Principal skills required
- Academic credentials in coral reef ecology with relevant degrees (Bachelor of Science in Aquaculture or a related field such as Ecology, Zoology or Marine Biology)
- Practical experience in husbandry and maintenance of coral and coral reef-associated organism in aquaculture system
- Experience in coral nursery health and biosecurity management
- Experience in designing, setting up, operating and maintaining of land-based nurseries is essential,
- Expertise in the maintenance of saltwater pumps, filters, plumbing and optimization of life support systems.
- Expertise with micro-fragmentation and other techniques
- Experience in transporting of corals
- Experience in recording, analyzing and reporting data, routine report writing and database management on coral growth and environmental parameters
- Certified Rescue Diver (minimum qualifications)
- Proven experience in capacity development and training
- Previous experience in working in donor funded projects
- Physical fitness and ability to work in remote areas
- English language - spoken and written fluency
- Ability to learn, appreciate and operate effectively in multi-cultural teams
- Set up and ensure proper and cost-effective management of a land-based nursery facility on Praslin Island including all the equipment and other assets.
- Fulfill maintenance plan for the year and ensure that all machinery and equipment operate in an orderly manner
- Achieve zero disease outbreaks and effective prevention of contamination in the facility
- Trial new techniques of coral propagation
- Work with the field team to select corals for broodstock
- Generate a stock of at least 1000 coral colonies annually for the purpose of reef restoration as well as for other purposes.
- Investigate the feasibility of propagating other associated reef organisms
- Deliver appropriate training and capacity development as part of the project’s training program when necessary.
- Compile and update and an “operations manual” and other appropriate facility standard operating procedures
- Work with volunteers, students and researchers when necessary.
- Undertake regular reporting on the running of the facility and its outputs.
- Add to the existing Tool Kit of best practice with new lessons learnt and experiences from the land based nurseries.
- Assist in the publication of scientific and technical papers, and presentations for scientific symposia.
- Set up and maintenance of a database of all data and other products. Example: Photos and videos from the project.
- Work with the team and Nature Seychelles Communications Manager on communications including social media
Join our award-winning and change-making Association as Administration Officer!
Post Title: Administration Officer
Salary: SR 12,000/month
Working hours: Monday to Friday, 8 am – 4pm. Some flexibility may be necessary.
Job Description: The post holder is to assist in the management of the functions and processes of Nature Seychelles and provide necessary operational, personnel, administrative and logistical support
Qualifications: 5 years in a similar position with good references and relevant education.