Volunteer for Turtle Monitoring on Cousin Island Special Reserve
Open for Hawksbill Turtle Nesting Season (October 2023 - March/April 2024)
Nature Seychelles, a leading environmental NGO in the Western Indian Ocean, has an opportunity for Turtle Monitoring Helpers for a limited time only to assist the conservation manager with the implementation of a turtle monitoring programme.
Nature Seychelles manages Cousin Island Special Reserve, an important breeding habitat for the Critically Endangered Hawksbill turtle (Eretmochelys imbricate). A monitoring programme has been running on the island since the 1970s. Please refer to http://natureseychelles.org/what-we-do/wildlife-conservation/marine-turtle-programme for more details.
Over a period of 3 months (October 2023 - March/April 2024), volunteer turtle monitoring helpers will assist the conservation manager with the daily running of the monitoring programme. Primary tasks will include regular patrols on the island for hawksbill turtles, data collection, and data entry.
Patrols are done every day, including early mornings and late evenings, and are carried out in pairs and on a rota. Free time on the island can be used to relax and, depending on the patrol rota, each volunteer gets a free weekend per month which can be spent off the island.
Skills and requirements:
- Prior turtle monitoring experience
- High physical fitness and ability to work in harsh conditions (6 to 8 hours of foot patrol per day on a soft sandy beach under hot and humid conditions)
- Demonstrable experience in carrying out physically demanding work.
- Flexible to a variable work schedule and capable of living on an isolated island.
- Effective communicator and English speaking.
- Travel insurance.
- Undergraduate or postgraduate in marine science or a related subject.
- Previous experience working in tropical marine conservation and/or research (ideally turtle monitoring).
- Previous experience working with data.
- 3 months temporary placement (October 2023 - March/April 2024),
- October-December (1)
- November-January (2)
- December-February (2/3)
- February-April (1/2)
- Base location: Cousin Island Special Reserve, Republic of Seychelles.
Shared facilities, including accommodation, kitchen and bathroom. No meals provided.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If shortlisted, you will also be required to provide copies of insurance documents.